Monday, August 11, 2008

State Softball and a Little Trip

Well this past weekend was once again an attempt by the Rodies to conquer the state softball tournament. Kevin and I had decided to leave on our vacation to Michigan as soon as we were finished with the tournament. Historically speaking, that meant we were leaving after losing the first two games of the weekend.

I decided not to go Friday night because it's a long drive into the Cities and frankly, I'm a little tired of watching them lose and get all upset about how they play so much worse there then any other games. The game was at 5:30 that night and I got a phone call right after supper at 6:36. Now, anyone who knows my husband knows that there is no way on earth he would ever call me immediately following losing a softball game. Evidently the kids and I are not good luck charms because they played very well and won the game 5 to 2 (or 3, I can't remember).

So the next morning we packed up the kids and the car and headed off to the Cities for another ball game at 11am. They started off very well, spending much of the game ahead by 1 or 2 runs. In the end, they had 2 injuries and lost by 1 run. I swear there were several times during that game that I almost peed my pants. I am definitely not made for such nail-biting excitement.

Since they lost at 11, they had to play again at 2pm. Hoping that the kids and I weren't completely bad luck, we headed off to Mickey D's and back just in time for that game which happened to be the first team that they lost to last year.

This time they started off very well again. By the start of the 7th inning, the score was tied 6 to 6. I'm telling you, I had about 3 heart attacks and peed my pants twice that day. Shelly and I spent the 7th inning silently telling our guys exactly where to hit the ball and would you believe, they actually listened! Kevin and Todd (and I think Scott, although I wouldn't swear to it) all got base hits just in time for BJ to come up to the plate. Of course that is a great time for a home run, don't you think? They also scored 2 more runs to bring the score to 12 to 6. Winning this game should be a piece of cake.

Unfortunately, the other team also hit 2 homeruns that inning. 9 to 12 with 2 outs and I have absolutely no idea what the next out was, but they got it and the Rodies won another game!!

Their next game was another close one, but they didn't manage to pull it out. So we all cheered for our guys who played really well and finally pulled themselves out of a winless State Tournament streak. Kevin and I took off on a LONNNNGGGGG drive for vacation and here we are. Sorry I didn't take any photos at the games, but you'll survive. I'll be sure to take a bunch this week (I've already filled one memory card) and post them up here sometime the end of next week.

No comments:

Mom to four beautiful blessings including a brand new little guy. Laugh and cry with me as I navigate the joys and perils of motherhood and homeschooling.