Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Mother of the Year

You ever have one of those days that you just feel like a terrible Mom? Saturday was one of those for me.

It started off a little crazy, Jody called to say that all the girls (from around here) and all the kids were going to the "big city" to go shopping and did I want to go with them? Of course I did. So off we went. It takes about an hour to get there, with a short stop at the bank to get the air conditioned car from Daddy.

We did quite a bit of shopping as well as playing at the park over lunch. Around 5, Shelly and I were in the Marshall's parking lot trying to decide whether we were going home or going to Target or whatever else we could decide.

I put Jadon in the car so he could climb around and not play in the parking lot. He was pushing buttons, but the door was open and I was watching him, so it was no big deal.

That is until big brother thought it would be funny to shut the door on him. With my purse in there. And my keys in the purse. If you want to really freak yourself out, just lock your baby in the car with the keys when you are an hour away from the nearest spare set. I won't keep you in suspense, it took about 25 minutes for the police to get him out. We were trying to get JJ to unlock it himself, but he kept pushing "lock" instead of "unlock" (I'm guessing he did that about 15 times.)

Jadon stayed pretty happy most of the time. He thought it was a game. And he certainly enjoyed my half-full Dr. Pepper.

The officers who unlocked the car were fantastic, as were the paramedics who came to check him out, just in case. But the police officer stationed in the parking lot was a real bonehead. He kept asking me if I had OnStar and telling me that they can remotely open the car. They did that when he locked his dog in. I wonder what made him think that was helpful. And, Jadon's my kid, not my dog, definitely not the same thing to have your baby locked in a car.

I just realized that this is not the first time I've commented on boneheaded policemen. Please note, that I was very grateful for the 2 that came to unlock the car. I'm even grateful boneheaded guy was there. I can only assume he was unmarried without children to have made the comments he did. Totally unrelated to the policeman's duties. Just in need of some life experience.

Also, we have recently dealt with many police officers, many more than I have ever wanted to have need for. I am really grateful for their assistance with the baby in the car and the vandalism to the same car. And even blocking the traffic so I could turn around when Kevin was helping Tyler out the other day(another ridiculous car story). So many thanks to the boys in blue. Just be a little more sensitive to us crazy, tired Mamas.

Just a note: Jadon has now been fully educated on which button to push to actually get out of the car. Pray he never needs to remember that lesson.

No comments:

Mom to four beautiful blessings including a brand new little guy. Laugh and cry with me as I navigate the joys and perils of motherhood and homeschooling.