Monday, July 7, 2008

Swimming!

Yesterday, after the softball game most of Kevin's family gathered at Todd and Shelly's house for hot dogs and swimming for the rest of the afternoon. Chloe had gone in the pool last week when it was only about 70 degrees, but Micah had balked at the idea. She was pretty cute in her life jacket and arm floaties. Of course, I didn't have my camera with me to share that image, so you'll just have to take my word for it. This week, she was a little more brave and used only the life jacket. She's almost tall enough to touch the bottom, but even if she could, there were a lot of kids so she's still much more comfortable with the life jacket on and that's just fine with me. She had a lot of fun and that's really all that matters.

This week Micah was eventually convinced to get into the pool by the prospect of splashing Daddy the whole time. So after dinner, he got all ready in his trunks and his life jacket. He was actually willing to do without the arm floaties that Chloe thought were so necessary. I wasn't sure how he would do, considering how he reacts to the sprinkler but after the first few minutes he seemed to do pretty well. When I looked out the window he was actually grinning as Kevin was teasing him just out of reach. It looks like my boy's actually going to learn to like the water (maybe just as long as it stays out of his face). I'm sure we'll have plenty of other opportunities to see my brave kids in the water at Aunt Shelly's this summer!
The rest of the kids seemed to have a good time too. Katy likes to float around right in the middle of everything in her little toy, and the bigger kids (ie Daddies and Uncles) obviously have a lot of fun. The pool is big enough that even with so many people in there, it didn't seem too overwhelming for the little ones just learning to adjust. Maybe one of these days I'll get in there with Jadon.

No comments:

Mom to four beautiful blessings including a brand new little guy. Laugh and cry with me as I navigate the joys and perils of motherhood and homeschooling.